This week, I answer a listener question about preparing for self-employment. You may also recall the session from a couple of weeks ago about adding a sideline income – this week’s show will help with that too…
This podcast is brought to you with the help of Seven Investment Management, a firm of investment managers based in London. They specialise in multi-asset investing, bringing institutional investing techniques to ordinary people like you and me. 7IM put their name to my show and to my site because they believe in what I’m doing, trying to get decent, easy-to-understand financial information out to the world. I’m very grateful to them for their support.
You can see what they’re up to at 7im.co.uk
In this session:
Regular listener Andy wants to know what he might need to put in place before going self employed, particularly bearing in mind that he may not be able to draw a regular monthly income at least in the early stages of his business.
In this session, you'll discover:
- The easiest thing to forget when you're preparing for self-employment
- The one thing you'll need to to do to survive as a self-employed person
- Why it might be best to start with some money behind you
- One big decision which will dictate your tax situation
- Why it is so important to keep good records form the start
- Some things you should be sure of if you're working from home
- The insurance you should think about
- What you need to know about pensions, and…
- Why you need to register with NICO.
Remember that a full transcript of the show is available by clicking the big blue button below:
Resources mentioned in this show
- Book: Emyth Revisited – Michael Gerber (affiliate link)
- Accounting software: FreeAgent (affiliate link)
- Accounting software: Xero
- Podcast: Auto-enrolment
- Website: Gov.uk – registering as self-employed
Join the conversation
I love to read and respond to your comments, so please do join in and share. Question: Are you preparing for self-employment? If so, what steps have you taken?
Share the love
No reviews this week due to recording a couple of shows in quick succession.
If this show is of any use to you, it would help me massively if you would take the time to leave me a review on iTunes. This has a huge impact on keeping me near the top of the rankings, which in turns helps more people to find the show and to subscribe. Just click the button below: