It’s time for another return guest, and this week it’s the turn of my friend Damien Fahy from MoneyToTheMasses.com. He’s set up something which I think is going to really help a lot of people, and it’s called The 80:20 Investor. Stay tuned to find out more…
Don’t forget that MeaningfulUniversity is now open for enrolment. There is just one course on there at the moment; Learn How To Budget. More courses will follow, but LHTB will give you everything you need to KNOW and everything you need to DO to set and stick to a monthly budget. Check it out at meaningfuluniversity.com.
If this show is of any use to you, it would help me massively if you would take the time to leave me a review on iTunes. This has a huge impact on keeping me near the top of the rankings, which in turns helps more people to find the show and to subscribe. I’ll remind you again at the end of the show, but if you want to do it right now, just click the button below:
This podcast is brought to you with the help of Seven Investment Management, a firm of investment managers based in London. They specialise in multi-asset investing, bringing institutional investing techniques to ordinary people like you and me. 7IM put their name to my show and to my site because they believe in what I’m doing, trying to get decent, easy-to-understand financial information out to the world. I’m very grateful to them for their support.
You can see what they’re up to at 7im.co.uk
Damien Fahy is a kindred spirit in many ways. He is passionate about helping as many people as he can to understand money and take positive action in their lives – sound familiar?!
He has been blogging for years at MoneyToTheMasses and for the past year has been devoting himself to his site full-time. At the start of 2015 he launched his new initiative, The 80:20 Investor, and knowing Damien it’s going to be a fantastic resource for those looking to take their investing more seriously.
Damien has a key advantage over me – he isn’t regulated. Don’t get me wrong, he knows his stuff and he has been regulated in the past. But now this means he doesn’t need to worry about falling foul of the regulator by recommending investments.
The reason I can’t recommend specific investments here on MeaningfulMoney is that for my day job I am a regulated financial adviser. The regulator reckons I can’t draw a line between my day job and my podcast, so I can’t mention specific investment here as they might be construed as recommendations.
Anyway, I’m excited to catch up with Damien and hear about this new initiative.
Here are the questions I asked Damien:
- Remind us quickly about your background and why you set up MoneyToTheMasses.com
- I've been covering off investment in some detail recently in a mini-series, and one part was a fascinating chat with Greg Davies of Barclays about behavioural finance. What mistakes do you see investors making? Have you made these mistakes yourself?
- How can people avoid making these mistakes?
- Is there a formula for investing for the rest of us, assuming we don't have limitless time and resources for research and education?
(Some great answers to this question, dear listener – definitely check this out!)
- Why did you decide to set up The 80:20 Investor? How did you come up with the name?
- Tell us about it and how it works
- Do you think that people will increasingly look to invest themselves, without the input of an adviser? Are advisers doomed?!
- If not, where can an adviser add value, even if they are not ‘doing' the investing for the client? (I'm finding more and more people are investing for themselves, while seeking planning advice to set them in the right direction).
- How can people find out more about the 80:20 investor?
So that’s Damien and his 80:20 investor service. Definitely go check that out.
As it stands at the point of recording, I have no vested interest in sending you to him. I don’t earn anything out of it at all. That may change, and if it does, I’ll make it very clear on this page…
Don’t forget, a full transcript of the interview is available if you hit the button below:
Damien’s website: MoneyToTheMasses.com – follow the link on the homepage to get to The 80:20 Investor and Damien’s free email course.
My previous chat with Damien: Session 60
Thanks to Thumberlain, Mani-Mani-Mani its so F..Funny and ScottElliott86 from the UK, and ?????? from Australia for their reviews this week.
Don’t forget to go to meaningfulmoney.tv/iTunes or hit the big red button below to leave a review – it really helps!